- About AVPA
- Calendar of Events
- Contact Us
- 2014-2015 Guest Artists
- Previous Performances and Residencies
- University Summer Performance Series
- The Cassatt String Quartet – October 2012
- Split Knuckle Theatre Company – November 2012
- Actors From The London Stage – January 2013
- Leyla McCalla – February 2013
- River North Chicago – March 2013
- Jeremy Kittel Band – September 2013
- Armitage Gone! October 2013
- New York Neo-Futurists – November 2013
- Te Amo, Argentina – January 2014
- Rosie Herrera Dance Theatre – February 2014
- Actors from the London Stage – March 2014
- The Art Guys – April 2014
- Telling Aggieland – May 2014
The Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts (AVPA) at Texas A&M University provides arts opportunities to students, faculty, and staff of Texas A&M University as well as the larger Bryan/College Station community. The AVPA primarily produces guest artists residencies and public performances and offers grants to support faculty research and curriculum development relating to our mission. The AVPA is governed by a 12-member Advisory Board. Also, check out our friends.
September 17 & 18, 7PM at Rudder Theatre
Renowned director Anne Hamburger production of BASETRACK, a moving multimedia performance, will be seen at Texas A&M’s Rudder Theatre on September 17 & 18 at 7 pm. This is the first production of the Academy for the Visual & Performing Arts 2014-2015 season. To kick off the season, the AVPA is hosting a post-performance reception in the Rudder Exhibit Hall on September 17 in which attendees are invited to attend.
In the current decade, more American soldiers have returned home from war than we have seen in a generation. They face an uphill battle reintegrating into a society where less than 1% of the population shares the experience of serving in the military, and even well-regarded cultural representations of war – such as The Hurt Locker – reinforce fictional stereotypes. Despite significant nationwide support for veterans of the post 9/11 era, an absence of genuine understanding contributes to isolation and depression that are unacceptably common obstacles to successful reintegration into civilian life.
BASETRACK is an ambitious collaboration between award-winning theatre company En Garde Arts and corpsmen from the 1st Battalion/8th Marines. The show was inspired by an original, online citizen journalism project called Basetrack that was created by the nonprofit organization November Eleven, and funded by a News Challenge grant from the Knight Foundation. (http://www.knightfoundation.org/blogs/knightblog/2011/8/4/war-afghanistan-home-iphone/).
BASETRACK is a gripping show about the impact of war on veterans, their families and communities. Live music, film and a cascade of images from independent photojournalists in Afghanistan and post-deployment veteran film makers punctuate a performance drawn exclusively from verbatim text from social media exchanges and interviews. Without representing these characters as either heroes or victims, BASETRACK LIVE tells a dynamic, contemporary story of ordinary people fundamentally changed by the extraordinary experience of fighting a war.
Tickets are available in advance and at the performances at the MSC Box Office on the TAMU campus or may be purchased over the phone at 979.845.1234 or online for September 17 or September 18 for ticket purchases. Ticket prices are $5 student and $10 general admission.
AVPA Seeking Social Media Student Worker
The AVPA is seeking a student to work 10-14 hours per week to implement the Social Media Marketing plan for the coming year. For job description, click here. All applications are due September 5, 2014 (deadline extended to September 12, 2014). If interested in applying, click here for application or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application no later than 10 am on September 5, 2014. Complete and return the application electronically only. No phone calls please.
Join AVPA’s Listserv!
The AVPA is starting it’s own listserv database to better inform you about upcoming events through a regular newsletter. You will find information on the performers and lecturers, find out more about the different art forms, and learn more behind the scene information on what we offer the Texas A&M community and BCS area. To join the AVPA Listserv, please send an email to email@example.com and in the BODY put: SUBSCRIBE avpa firstname lastname.
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun123456789101112131416192021222324252627282930
- 2014-2015 AVPA Calendar of Events
- Co-Curricular Arts Grant – Dr. Isaac Bustos, Department of Performance Studies
- Co-Curricular Arts Grant – Carisa Armstrong, Health & Kinesiology
- Co-Curricular Arts Grant – Sarah M. Misemer, Hispanic Studies and Glasscock Center for Humanities Research, & Richard J. Gosan, International Studies and Melbern G. Glasscock Center for Humanities Research
- Arts Research Enhancement Grant – Dr. Holly Foster, Sociology